What is AB 540?
Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) is a California state law that allows students who meet certain requirements to pay in-state tuition fees at any UC, CSU, or California community college. You must meet the following criteria to apply for AB 540:
- attended a California high school for three years AND
- graduated from a California highs school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED OR CA High School Proficiency Exam) AND
- register or be currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education AND
- sign a statement (Affidavit) with the college or university AND
- not hold a valid non-immigrant visa such as visas F, J, H, and L
States Offering In-State Tuition to Undocumented Students
Currently, there are 11 states offering in-state tuition to undocumented students and these are California, Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin.
AB 540 Affidavit
Most colleges and universities have their own form of the AB 540 affidavit which serves two purposes: 1) verify that the student meets the educational requirements and 2) certify the intent to establish legal residency.
Students must provide information on all high schools attended and submit high school transcript as required by the college or university.
Finally, you must indicate your immigration status by checking ONLY one of two options:
- I am a nonimmigrant alien as defined by federal law. [Nonimmigrant aliens have been admitted to the United States temporarily and include, but are not limited to, foreign students (persons holding F visas) and exchange visitors (persons holding J visas)].
- I am NOT a nonimmigrant alien. [U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or aliens without lawful immigration status.]
If the first option best describes your situation, then you are NOT eligible to apply for AB 540 status, else if the second option best describes your situation, then you can submit an AB 540 affidavit and pay in-state tuition fees.
To download the AB 540 affidavit click here.
Any student who does not meet all of the AB 540 criteria is ineligible to pay in-state tuition rates in California.